There are three categories of patients who get pain free:
I. People who need just a little help. For this group, reading the books of Dr. Sarno is enough. But remember, if you are in this group and still need help, try The Program. We - TMS doctors - are here for you.
II. People who have some relief, but are not yet stable enough; or people whose pain has subsided, but has not yet been eliminated. This group is definitely on the right track, and can benefit from continued guidance from The Program or one of the TMS doctors.
III. People who have very deep psychological problems who, besides the general program, will need help from a psychotherapist or medical intuitive. They can get it from The Program or from one of the TMS doctors.
Regardless of which group you belong to, we are very confident that we can help you, as long as you accept the idea of the possibility of the mind-body nature of your problem. If the diagnosis is correct, it is just a matter of time before you are pain free and happy again.
Here are several steps to facilitate your recovery:
1. Believe that the cause of your problem is TMS. It is extremely necessary to understand that the physical nature of your pain is rooted in your mind. It is not exactly true that the pain is in your head. It starts there, but is being presented at the place or places where you experience pain. If you have any doubt that the cause of your pain is injury or a physical problem, then review TMS or make an appointment with one of the TMS doctors. Failure to get better usually starts with this misconception.
2. Think "emotional" rather than "physical" in terms of the cause of the pain. It is extremely difficult, but you have to reset your mind completely. It is crucial to tell your mind that now it is absolutely clear for you; that pain comes from mile oxygen deprivation of the muscle, nerve or tendon. Sometimes, it is a combination of all three. The reason your body has this pain is to distract you from repressed, unwanted emotions or fears. If you have difficulty understanding this, please refer to Dr. Sarno's book or come to see one of the TMS doctors.
3. This is perhaps the most difficult one: uncover and identify your repressed, unwanted emotions or fears. Sometimes it takes a lot of time and energy. That is why a professionally-trained specialist can save time and effort. The more correct the search, the better and quicker the result. Dr. Schechter's book can help you with this.
4. Practice this method several times a day for at least a month to implement the desired results.
5. Start to get your body into the best physical form it can be. It is not necessary to do special exercises, but anything that increases general circulation and keeps your muscles in good tone is helpful.
6. Consider Meditation, Yoga, and/or Tai-Chi/Chi-Gong (as forms of meditation in motion).
7. Go slow. As you gain strength, you will want to resume activities you have missed because of your painful past. Until your health returns, you have a good chance for relapse. Remember, you want control over your body, not the opposite.
If these steps are not giving you good results, think about The Program or call one of the TMS doctors.